In sports, injuries happen quite often.  Once something is injured, it is more likely to happen again.  David Towell, a student at Clermont, had an experience like this, but in a new way.

Towell and his friends were playing a basketball scrimmage in January of 2016, his junior year of high school.  This was a regular event for the group of friends.  David went for a rebound and he fell on another player’s foot.  He looked down at his foot and it was turned in an unnatural way, but he did not think anything of it.  Towell had not had a serious injury since he was around eight years old.  He attempted to stand up, but as soon as he put weight on it, he fell.  His ankle simply could not support his weight.

While they were sitting down trying to figure out what to do, a man who claimed he worked in the medical field came over to make sure everything was okay.  He told Towell that the best thing to do was to take off his shoe.  In hindsight, this was probably the worst move they could have made because that allowed his ankle and foot to swell.

Eventually, they arrived at the emergency room. David was informed that it was a high-ankle sprain on the lateral side.  The doctor also believed that he could have damaged his growth plate.  Towell was forced to call into work (he had just been hired) and inform them that he could not be there for several weeks.

Towell was on crutches and could not put any pressure on his foot for four weeks.  He was then allowed to put pressure on it but still had to use the crutches.  Then, the time came where they moved him into an ankle brace; he was close to being fully healed.

After two weeks of being without crutches, Towell felt incredibly comfortable walking again.  He then found himself at the same basketball gym where the first injury took place.  Towell backed into another player’s foot and rolled his ankle—again.  However, this time, it was the other ankle that was injured, but it was just a regular ankle sprain.

Once again, he had to call his work, Mike’s Carwash, to inform them that he had broken his other ankle.  Because he was a new employee, the management did not fully believe him at first; they originally thought that he was just trying to get off work.

Through both injuries, Towell was going to physical therapy and rehabbing, while also trying to remain social.  He said that it was hard to go out with friends because “the only things I could do were play video games and go out to eat.”  Of course, he was not able to drive while this happened, which made his recovery time pass much more slowly.

Towell was constantly being teased by his friends in a playful manner about that situation.  He remembers being called “paper ankles,” “paper-Mache ankles,” “glass ankles,” and several other names.  One of his friends recalled how there was a time where Towell had a boot on one leg, an ankle brace on the other, and crutches in his arms.

Now that all the ankle problems are (hopefully) over for Towell, he is still nervous when he rolls his ankle while running or working out.  He said that he must be cautious when he is lifting with his legs to make sure nothing happens to them, because if something else were to happen, he would have to get surgery on his ligaments—and this is the last thing “glass ankles” needs!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *